[thesite] Site backups

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Nov 2 01:23:43 CST 2001

I'm just curious. What's our disaster management and recovery policy
regarding evolt.org code, lists, etc.?
(sorry for sounding so CMM-ish).

For example, is the site's HTML code/CMS code/server config.
documentation/db schema etc. archived somewhere so that in case the server
explodes or there's a fire (hopefully won't happen), there's a way of
recovering it?

Ditto with the list of evolt subscribers for thelist, thesite, theforum, etc.

I remember that A List Apart's subscriber base got wiped out when they had
major problems with their web hosting provider. That killed a well-known
mailing list with a few thousand subscribers. Wouldn't want something
similar to happen to us :(

I'm sure someone like Martin will now chime in with standard corporate
policies regarding data storage, offsite backups, etc. ;)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant