XML-RPC Digression... WAS: Re: [thesite] UEUE v.0.2 Update

Mark Nickel mnickel at new.rr.com
Thu Nov 8 09:31:16 CST 2001

Ok, if you really want my Grand Unified UEUE Theory without J2EE,
(GUUEUET???  :)  )  here it goes:

o  browser connects to *.evolt.org site and wants to login.

o  *.e.o site makes an XML-RPC request to ueue.evolt.org service with a
subsite username and password to access the XML-RPC service on
ueue.evolt.org.

o  ueue.evolt.org returns an XML-RPC package to the *.evolt.org subsite with
a pass/fail result

o  *.evolt.org is responsible for making nicey-nicey session's using cookies
between the browser and *.evolt.org subsite if the user login passes/is
successful.

o  no futher interaction with ueue.evolt.org is necessary

   **OR**

o  if we don't want to trust anyone *EVERY* access of the browser to the
*.e.o site will result in the *.e.o subsite re-authenticating the user via
XML-RPC to the ueue.evolt.org server

The above, obviously, does not solve the Global User Sessions across all
*.evolt.org...  Each subsite would still be responsible for that task.
cookies would be sufficent then.

The XML-RPC payload could be made GPG encrypted, SSL'ed, etc.

This is oh-so-similar to the straight DB lookup, DSN username/password
discussion in this thread, however with XML-RPC it's server-side language
agnostic which would satisfy the "generic" component for the implementation
of each subsite.

I believe Matt W. has done some of this intra-network querying, but I
believe that is something we should stay away from.  That native
client-server database access would work, but I think that the XML-RPC is
just more funner... :) .  Besides, I just love the whole market-speak
surrounding Web Services... :)  :)  :)  :) I think it's hilarious

In my gut, this is what I call the "good" solution.  All the cookie
dancing/MD5'ing, is the "good enough" solution.

Thanks!

Mark