J2EE Digression... WAS: Re: [thesite] UEUE v.0.2 Update

Mark Nickel mnickel at new.rr.com
Thu Nov 8 09:31:31 CST 2001

djc wrote:

> this is just me an limited understanding of j2ee and .net, but wouldn't
> we need to have these technologies in place to use them?

Yes you would.  Throw out the Coldfusion/PHP/Perl and embrace Java Server
Pages/Servlets/and EJB's.

If you still want the authentication server-to-server, then you need an
XML-RPC architecture.  This doesn't solve the problems of Global user
sessions.... :)

> if i'm wrong, ok, but one more thought :) the purpose of what we're
> trying to do here is to make it language agnostic. if we have a subsite
> in jsp, it can talk to our user DB. same with asp, cf, php, perl,
> python, whatever - we don't need to rely on any one language to develop
> evolt sites while assuring they're able to hook into the 'collective' :)
>

> again, i may not have a grasp of the technologies here, just lemme know
> if not
>
> .djc.
>
> .jeff wrote:
>
> >><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> >>J2EE and .NET are going to rely on server-to-server
> >>communication to facilitate the authentication...
> >><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> >>
> > i really like the sound of this approach.  this serves to remove the

Ok, here's my understanding of J2EE in a nutshell. I'm not going to talk
about .NET because I know that it's just basically the same thing as J2EE
but written VB style with a Hailstorm/User authentication/authorization
layer...

(Really Sun ONE and .NET are competeing products who's underlying
technologies are J2EE and C#/Biztalk/IIS/ASP...)

Basically J2EE is a EJB (Enterprise Java Bean) Server Container.  This
Container is a logical construct that can reside over several physical
server/load balancers/etc.  Within this Container, you've got Session
Beans.  These constructs are responsible for maintaining "states" across the
Container architecture.  Sessions can be of all different classes but
basically we're talking about User Sessions spanning the entire
architecture.  I believe that Resources (Database connections/MQSeries
connections/etc) also utilize the Session Beans for their purposes...

I believe that you can have inter-architecture operability, i.e. ColdFusion
to J2EE, using IIOP or CORBA...  It's ugly, but I believe that it is
possible...

IMHO, J2EE works great when you have "clients" that are really humans
accessing data through web-applications who get data from a multitude of
sources...  When your "clients" become Autonomous agents, then the model
will still work, but you get into these hybrid J2EE "app-servers" that are
sold by CommerceOne, BlueStone(now HP), RosetteNet, etc...

JBoss is really the only Open Source project that is attempting a to have
J2EE functionality but not necessarily J2EE certification.  This is the same
fine line that Mesa walks... It's OpenGL compliant, but not certified...

I'm pretty sure that's essentially how the J2EE works.. To the best of my
knowledge, anyway......  <sarcasm> n e 1 want to change from CF to Java???
</sarcasm>

Mark
--
"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."

-Batman costume warning label