[thesite] Back to the Drawing board for UEUE?

Mark Nickel mnickel at new.rr.com
Fri Nov 9 10:06:37 CST 2001

Ok, I'm sensing a bit of "go back to the drawing board" feeling with
this whole thread...

I think that all our security paranoid, no matter how justified (which I
believe is valid), is causing us to question heavily the possibility of
a cookie-based UEUE.  Remember, the O'Reilly solution worked because all
subsite where directly controlled by O'Reilly.  In our case, we are
planning on opening this up to sites not directly under our control.

<sarcasm>  Personally, I believe that the solution proposed in my
Biometrics Post is the One TrueWay(tm):
http://lists.evolt.org/thesitearchive/2001-November/1564197.html
</sarcasm>  :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I've a thick skin, but won't a XML-RPC
based solution take longer to implement because of the experience level
of us?  I've never really done a XML-RPC application.  I totally
understand how to do it, but I've never actually coded something
before...

That's why I thought the cookie solution was good, easy, simple, quick
to get up and running...  I know that it's a bit questionable on the
security side...  Is that question enough to prevent this from being a
successful application?

Dan,  I know that we keep getting hung up on trying to include m.e.o.
into the UEUE mix.  You've said several times that we should ignore this
X-factor... Can we really do that?  At what point do we say, enough with
this discussion, fricken code something and move on..!   ??  :)  I'm
having a problem ignoring m.e.o. which is probably adding to my
wishy-washy stance on this...  So, slap me with a trout if this is
ranting too much.. :)  :)

I'm going to take the concepts posted here on thesite and pull together
a UEUE v.0.2a document that's XML-RPC based just for the funsies of
it...

I'm also going to study some of the links you dug up, Dan, on this whole
SSO stuff...  Anything open source that jumped out at you?

Mark

--
"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."

-Batman costume warning label