[thesite] Eliminating jargon in articles

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 14:22:23 CST 2001

> From: Madhu Menon <webguru at vsnl.net>
>
> While it works, there's no visual cue to the reader that he can hover
> his mouse there and get an explanation.

correct, i hadn't gotten to that yet... last night went from being productive to
something else... it was a good something else... even though my
apartment is missing 5 windows and it got rather chilly last night...

> How about if we styled the <acronym> tag like this:
>
>          CURSOR: help;
>          BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px dotted
>
> (Found this on some web site but forgot the URL)

yeah, i saw that article, too... oh, wiat, here it is:
http://alistapart.com/stories/practicalcss/

ok, whomever has access to the master evolt CSS file(s) might want to add
this to it/them (isaac.css):

abbr, acronym, .help	{	border-bottom : 1px dotted #000000 ; }

if you want, add cursor : help ; , although i must admit that i'm not a big fan
of that...

the class .help is handy should we decide we want that effect on other
things with titles but that aren't in <abbr> or <acronym> tags...

i suggest black as the default for the regular site because the dark green
won't have enough contrast and i fear it may recede too much... but
whomever does it, feel free to play...

> It's a real bummer that IE doesn't show a tooltip for <abbr>. Let's
> stick to <acronym> then and ignore the semantic difference, eh?

er, no thanks, i'd really much rather not... if we decide to use semantic
markup, let's use it correctly and let the browser makers catch up... i know
that sounds a bit silly, but i code <label>s into things knowing not everyone
can use them... if that makes any sense...