[thesite] Back to the Drawing board for UEUE?

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Fri Nov 9 14:27:13 CST 2001

Mark Nickel put his $0.02 in about the following, leaving him with $0.03,
enough for one and one half more comments...

| Ok, I'm sensing a bit of "go back to the drawing board" feeling with
| this whole thread...

+1. I just read the whole rollercoaster-ride sea-storm thread and its
undulating spawn on the archives. I'm saying this because I like this
direction, and would contribute.

| I'm going to take the concepts posted here on thesite and
| pull together
| a UEUE v.0.2a document that's XML-RPC based just for the funsies of
| it...

Um. Just my lack of knowledge of technology/culture/language here, but isn't
XML-RPC aka SOAP?

If so, and I think it is, then this is why I'd contribute to this direction:
I think that Sun's ONE platform and MS's .NET are basically right for the
level of web application use state management we are now beginning to
develop.

| I'm also going to study some of the links you dug up, Dan, on
| this whole
| SSO stuff...  Anything open source that jumped out at you?

I should read these first, however let me disclose some breaking news. I am
working on a site which will have about the same complexity and scope as
Evolt with my friends who want to take over the world. Muha Muha
Mugaaahhhahhaa. Uh. Oh.

The friends need a system, that is, which is OSS and can be basically fit
into our existing needs. One of which is this complex authentication which
probably also needs to be disconnected and distributed, but retains the
richness of the persistent look and feel (LAF) across sites, implying stored
and roaming session information. The thread on UEUE was heading in that
direction somewhat...

I realize there are some tensions in the perceptions of the needs in this
group about UEUE and it's concept in general, however. Current risk balanced
against future risk balanced against current resources and enthusiasm leaves
thesite with a few questions to ask, I think. What do we need now? What do
we need soon(ish)? What do we drool over? (Well, Mark makes this plenty
clear 8)

While I'd like to contribute, I'd also not like to polarize the constituents
though my preferences. I'm willing to work out the issues of what we really
need and want, and who's going to help get it there, first. And I'd like to
be in that list... somewhere.

<rory disposition="if you can't smile now, when?" alt="8)"/>