[thesite] test.evolt.org change fyi

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 16 19:37:23 CST 2001

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
> >
> > NN4.08
> > http://roselli.org/xfer/evolt_author.gif
> >
> > erm, seems ok...
>
> this is what i'm seeing about every 2 out of 3 reloads of the page.
> http://members.evolt.org/jeff/screen_caps/nn4_author_block.gif

*yo* mama.

> > so, we're going to stuff style-only HTML into our page
> > strictly to adjust the size of the text, then?
> >
> > yes, that's a weighted question... i don't see how
> > <small> offers any structure or semantic meaning to
> > the content within...
>
> i know.  i'm stuck with the same feeling about it.  however, i think
> it definitely looks better at the size it's rendered with <small> tags
> wrapped around it when viewed in those stylesheets where the .side
> classed text is closer to the .main classed text size (granite.css for
> example).  so, trick questions aside, knowing this goal and trying to
> not continue adding things to the stylesheets, what would you suggest?

part of that concern is predicated on how *other* CSS files handle
it... that's not how we've done it in that past... *anyone* can make
the side text larger than the body copy, so do we worry about
those scenarios?

in short, design for the isaac.css file...

which, IMO, means we don't need <small> at all...

> > > inconsistencies where?  the author block?  or the
> > > content flowed to the left of the author block?
> >
> > in the HTML...
>
> uh, ok.  you can thank people using different tab stop settings than
> the requested standard when editing the article display file.

thank you.

how's that?

> since i don't care either way i'll pull all the <strong>s out of
> there, except for the first line "By authorname blah", unless you
> object to that too.

nah, that's fine... it acts as a de facto header... not an ideal use of
<strong>, but it is acceptable...

> > no text disappearance... but still, yeah, way wonky...
> > http://roselli.org/xfer/evolt_layout.gif
>
> try it with granite.css.  it's got a line-height specified for
> .content and you'll see what i mean.

yeah, we really need to gut .content if all it was was line-height... i
think that's one CSS attribute that we might even wanna consider
verboten...

then again, verboten in the isaac.css i guess is good enough...
after all, i just argued for building this for the core style... CSS
authors will always find new ways to surprise us, and i'd rather not
spend the rest of time tracking down new bugs from documented
issues...

> no, he's in the mortiary supply business.  he's got bodybags specially
> designed by him and manufactured for him that he says are "so strong a
> live body couldn't get out of."  oh boy.  that gives me the creeps
> just thinking about it.

remember my friend in texas?

he's got a duffle bag with a Coronor patch on it... he uses it when
he flies anywhere...

nobody touches that bag... even when it's checked, people move
away from it on the conveyer...