[thesite] [leo/teo/weo] Tip Harvester Links and Member Page

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sat Nov 17 13:21:35 CST 2001

Let's pick on leo for a few minutes  ;)

>From the user's page .... one finds the link to the author's tips...

My first suggestion would be to fix the user's page a bit .. and, yes, I
realize the Members' page will change greatly and is being worked on
independently.  In the interim, we need to clean up the User's Page ..
before we roll teo to weo.

The link to the author's tips is lost ... I'd suggest making this part look
the same as the articles .. in as much as adding a pagetitle2 title called
"tips" with the link to search underneath, then the articles .. just
separate the info out so one can see it better.

The Bio should go on this page too .. in the interim .. Jeff, where are you
putting the "form" for people to enter their bio?

Back to the tips search ... clicking on the link from the author's page
displays the tips on leo .. we need to make this page more user friendly I
think.  Here's my link:
http://lists.evolt.org/index.cfm/a/harvest/b/search/index.html?userid=4292

The search boxes at the top of this search result page are confusing ..
there's no author search available from here .. has one wondering where the
heck they are .. sure, those of us in the know understand what's going on
... but for the average user, wow, they've just entered an entirely
different realm. ;)

Ok, some suggestions, open for discussion of course ... things to consider
the user's experience and the technical feasibility/limitations ..

(1) On searching for tips by user, eliminate the search box from the top ..
but put a link on the side bar "search tips".

(2) Keep the search box, but add the Author criterion, so that it makes
sense .. right now, it says Results for keyword : .. note, empty keyword.

Definitely need some more suggestions here .. this leap from weo(teo) to leo
is confusing .. necessary, I understand .. but still confusing.  Perhaps the
problem is that we are forcing this results page into the tip structure, and
there's no continuity back to weo(teo).  With some creative thinking and
coding, we can make the transition less noticeable.  I'm not sure, its very
obvious (style wise) that we've moved locations .. but its not helping the
user's experience.

Suggestions folks .. please :)

Ok, back to the search results page for the tips ... a couple of points ....
if you look at my results, I have 11 tips (link above)...  at the bottom of
the first page it says:

Results 1 to 10 of 11
1 2
of 2 total pages

What's with the "previous 10 articles" ?  and the Next 1 article ..

Both of the above should refer to "tips" not articles .. and the previous 10
isn't applicable as we're on page 1. ??

And clicking on that lonely Next 1 .. on the second page the "Next 10
articles" is displayed yet not linked... can we get rid of that?

The other thing I found confusing .. and this probably can't be dealt with
.. is that if I click on a tip to view it, the Prev Tip/Next Tip options
lead to the next tips within the entire tip collection .. not the next one
within the search criteria... i.e. the next one of my tips (since that's
where we started).  Again, I don't think this can be fixed without a lot of
work.

Ideas, suggestions .... ?

Trying to improve the user's experience .. and tying everything in together.
I'm so amazed at the progress that's been made the past several months... so
many projects/tasks all coming together at once is just f***ing awesome.  :)

Michele