[thesite] Article View Samples

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sun Nov 18 11:14:01 CST 2001

Folks,

I've created a few sample pages for the article views .. I'm not isaac tho
.. hehe :)

Sample 1:
http://members.evolt.org/Mishka/newstyles/article_view_1.htm

This one combines the author's bio and his/her other articles published on
evolt.org. Information is separated by <hr> tags, but uses the same class as
the main content.

I thought there were too many links (too many options) to click for the
articles, so I created sample 2, which has less information and puts the
article first.

Sample 2:
http://members.evolt.org/Mishka/newstyles/article_view_2.htm

This one is the same as above, except only the article title and its
category is presented.

Sample 3:

http://members.evolt.org/Mishka/newstyles/article_view_3.htm

A variation of Sample 2 above, but eliminating the <hr> tags and instead
using the sidebar class.  Problem with this option is that if the author's
bio contains links, the class .sidebar needs to be applied to those links.
I'm not sure if this can be done programmatically.

None of the above samples take into consideration the concerns raised about
breaking up the article flow by putting the author's info in the middle ..
nor the concern raised about providing links away from the article, before
the ratings and reader comments.

Personally, I like the two pieces of information together.  Ideally, if the
author hasn't written any additional articles, it would be nice for that
section not to show up at all, instead of saying "this author has written
any other articles".  And, the same goes for it there is no bio available,
just leave that out completely, instead of a "no bio provided" sort of
thing.

Anyway, a few ideas, suggestions .....

Comments please!!

If anyone is so inclined, feel free to d/l my samples and create other
variations.  I've added a zip file at:
http://members.evolt.org/Mishka/newstyles/article.zip which includes the
original article page I started with, the css file and the images.

Thanks,

Michele