[thesite] improved? rating layout

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 19 09:23:06 CST 2001

> From: Madhu Menon <webguru at vsnl.net>
>
> >use CSS for that... and i'd rather not see red hard-coded as the
> >gauge... red means too many things that don't apply here...
>
> How about #006600 or #006633 instead of red? It would fit in a little
> better with the colour scheme too.

so, we'd add new classes?  or do it inline?  again, i resist CSS
bloat, especially now that michele has made a bunch of changes...

> >don't forget that leading is something that was gutted from the CSS
> >(specifically from the class .content) because of the rendering
> >wonkiness it creates in NN4.x...
>
> I can't forget, 'cause I never knew :D

we've been discussing it here for a bit, if you look up the threads
where .jeff, michele and i have been discussing keeping or gutting
.content as a class since it was commented out so long ago...

> Couldn't we use an @import hack?

yes... think of the logistics, though, of managing custom styles
with multiple files... not that much harder, but it is that much more
room for issues...

> (btw, I can't remember the URL for the stats page, so could you tell
> me how many site visitors used NS 4.xx ?)

er...
http://browsers.evolt.org/stats/stats.aug2001.html
http://browsers.evolt.org/stats/stats.sep2001.html
http://browsers.evolt.org/stats/stats.oct2001.html

however, i'm curious why you ask... is there a raw % you're looking
for that will justify it?

> >but the use of the default link color in there makes it hard to read
> >the hyperlinks... it's been classed as side, but none of the
> >hyperlinks have been classed accordingly...
>
> It's dark text against a fairly dark background, and the lack of
> contrast makes it hard to read. Add to that the smalled size of the
> text *and* the underlines minus the extra leading, and we're really
> asking for it.
>
> Michele asked if we could remove the underlines, but then we'd be
> breaking with the established site convention of underlined links, and
> that's a usability no-no. Either use underlines or don't (and make
> them more prominent), but not mix n' match.

that's why i suggest we just dump the box styling... all of that goes
away...