[thesite] rudy, this may intersest you..

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Fri Oct 5 12:50:43 CDT 2001

Daniel J. Cody wrote on 5/10/01 4:48 pm

>if cleaning up the DB is on your LOTTD next weekend, check out this
>query against the live DB
>
>select email from users group by email having count(*) > 1;
>
>looks like we have 175 duplicate email's in our user table.. just
>thought you may be interested :)

And before we think about merrily deleting the dupes, can we
please have a think about a data constitution? Are we assuming
that they're genuine redundant duplicates? How will we know
which ones are? How will we let people know what we're doing?
What will their reaction be? How do we cater for people who
(for whatever reason - some no doubt genuine) *want* dupe
accounts?

I'm sure there are other questions - these are the ones off the
top of my head.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland