[thesite] Re: Tip Harvester / Code Fest

Dean Mah dmah at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 5 20:22:20 CDT 2001

> | 1) Search function.
>
> IMHO, too big of a task to be handled at CodeFest.  However, I'll
> put it on the list and it can roll over to a.e.o. and get picked
> back up when you return from holidays.

Gee thanks.  :P  Seriously, no problem.  Most of the tip harvester
stuff is a lower priority.

> | 2) Production grade tip editor and list message editor.
>
> That's a good idea.  Between Matt and I, I think we have a pretty
> good idea of what's required here.  Are the forms processed by
> ColdFusion or Perl?

Everything is in Perl.  There is no compelling reason to keep them in
Perl.  They could be written in CF, PHP, Perl, whatever.

I hate to be subjected to bad code and I know that I don't want to
subject anyone to those hacked scripts; they were a rapid prototype.
I'd prefer that they be re-written rather than patched.  If you guys
don't get around to it, I'll do it when I get back.

> | 3) Fixing the 'Next' and 'Prev' links when the tips are sorted.
>
> I vaguely remember this conversation.  Was a solution fleshed out?
> Or are we still stuck at the "how do we do this" phase?

I think that Rudy was looking at the SQL.  It isn't a high priority
task since no one has complained or seem to have noticed it.  If the
SQL doesn't get re-written, you can brute force a solution in the CF
template.  For example, re-run the entire query and pull out the
prev/next IDs from the entire dataset that is brought back.

> Thanks again.  Have a great trip, btw.

Thanks.  See you guys in a couple of weeks.

Dean