Fwd: RE: [thesite] thecode FAQ - everyone read

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 11 16:17:45 CDT 2001

michele,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Michele Foster
>
> | As in Backend, Code, Commentary & Society etc.
>
> I understand what categories are.. however, I've not
> heard any mention in the past of adding, editing or
> deleting categories.  This is what I was asking for
> clarification on.  Has this been discussed in the past?
> Is there a compelling reason, at this time, why we'd
> even consider making this an "Admin" function and taking
> the time to build a web-based backend for handling this?
> My understanding is that only those with access to the
> live DB (whether that be weo's or teo's or both) can
> actually make changes directly to the DB to categories.
> Or am I still confused?
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

yeah, still confused -- probably cause you never saw the original admin for
thesite.  you used to be able to add/edit/delete/publish/unpublish
categories.  the admin that created the category and the date it was created
were reported in the application.  maybe even the admin that published it
along with its published date are reported as well.  it's been awhile since
i've seen it.  the important thing to note is that we shouldn't have to rely
on manual changes to the database to make these sorts of changes --
especially when it won't take me very long at all to build this application.

something else to think about -- if this is to be an open-source cms with
others using it, we really should consider making the administration of the
cms as simple as possible.  the fewer things that have to be done via direct
connection to the database the better it will be for everyone.

thanks,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org