[thesite] category descriptions

Emily Christensen em at members.evolt.org
Sat Oct 13 17:25:04 CDT 2001

Here are the rough drafts of seven category descriptions (I still need to
look at site development, code, visual design, and backend.)

My notes are in brackets.

Emily

JOBS
A good jobs page is the web geek's best friend, especially in the
often-uncertain tech industry. And for employers looking for the best
talent, the evolt.org community is the perfect target audience: Our
thousands of members are experts in every area of the web development and
technology fields.

If you are interested in posting a job listing, please first read the
submission guidelines. The listing will stay live on the site for xxx days.

WEB BUSINESS
You've got the skills but can't pay the bills. You're a design goddess, a
database guru, someone who writes code in his sleep. <I>But</I> you can't
write a proposal to save your life, market yourself effectively, or manage
to keep a positive bank balance. That's why your friends at evolt.org have
created a place for you to learn the tips and tricks to keep you in the web
business game. The articles in this category deal with marketing, (etc.) [I
didn't follow the conversation about the creation of this cat, so lemme know
if y'all have something else in mind.]

Here's everything you need to know about evolt.org: where we came from, what
we do, and why Jeff doesn't own clothing made of natural fibers.

COMMENTARY & SOCIETY
If you haven't noticed, us techie types love to "share." If the spirit moves
you to rant about the WC3 or wax nostalgic about your Commodore 64, post the
screed here.

This is also where we post notices about evolt gatherings - be they
CodeFests or Beervolts - coming soon to a city near you.

IA/USABILITY
Whether you're a disciple of Jakob Nielsen or you design everything with
Flash, here's where you should go to find out how to best serve your
audience by creating sites that are usable and intuitive for your target
audience. [Should we spell out "information architecture" somewhere? Can we
manage to do this in the title and not in the drop box?]

SUGGESTIONS:
Have a problem with us? A brilliant idea? Submit it here and we'll hash it
out.

REVIEWS & LINKS
[I was thinking that maybe we can change the name of this category to
"reviews" and preface each headline with what is being reviewed. i.e.,
"Book: 'Don't Make me Think'." "Web site: webcms.org." Make sense? Yes? No?
Now that we have deo do we really even need a links option?]

When we're not doing web work, these are the books we're reading about web
work.

SOFTWARE
News about, commentary on, and reviews of the software that's supposed to
make our jobs easier.