[thesite] category descriptions

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Sat Oct 13 20:52:04 CDT 2001

jobs desc is good.

> business game. The articles in this category deal with marketing,
> (etc.) [I
> didn't follow the conversation about the creation of this cat, so
> lemme know if y'all have something else in mind.]

marketing, basic accounting, managing workflow, legal issues, etc.

otherwise, desc is fine.

> Here's everything you need to know about evolt.org: where we came
> from, what
> we do, and why Jeff doesn't own clothing made of natural fibers.

fine.

> COMMENTARY & SOCIETY
> If you haven't noticed, us techie types love to "share." If the
> spirit moves
> you to rant about the WC3 or wax nostalgic about your Commodore
> 64, post the
> screed here.
>
> This is also where we post notices about evolt gatherings - be they
> CodeFests or Beervolts - coming soon to a city near you.

eventually we'll intro a community cat to handle the announcements. more
importantly, commentary is meant for whinging and headlemur-style rants.

> IA/USABILITY
> Whether you're a disciple of Jakob Nielsen or you design everything with
> Flash, here's where you should go to find out how to best serve your
> audience by creating sites that are usable and intuitive for your target
> audience. [Should we spell out "information architecture"
> somewhere? Can we
> manage to do this in the title and not in the drop box?]

talk to javier about this one perhaps. otherwise, what you have is a good
start.

> SUGGESTIONS:
> Have a problem with us? A brilliant idea? Submit it here and we'll hash it
> out.

i'd also mention thesite. a lot of the resulting discussion will happen
there, and we'll encourage them to sign-up and get involved.

> REVIEWS & LINKS
> [I was thinking that maybe we can change the name of this category to
> "reviews" and preface each headline with what is being reviewed. i.e.,
> "Book: 'Don't Make me Think'." "Web site: webcms.org." Make
> sense? Yes? No?
> Now that we have deo do we really even need a links option?]

no, i've said that before. links are no irrelevant. you suggestion re titles
is good.

> SOFTWARE
> News about, commentary on, and reviews of the software that's supposed to
> make our jobs easier.

hmm, is there anything we can add to this? maybe not.

good work overall. :)