[thesite] My Intro and a look at a UEUE Proposal

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Mon Oct 15 22:12:16 CDT 2001

On Oct 15, Mark Nickel had something to say about Re: [thesite] My Intro...

>Here are some assumptions...
>1.  ueue.evolt.org would contain fields that are not specific to the Child
>Server site.
>2.  each child site would still have a user table that would contain content
>specific stuff like the number of articles by the user for the
>food.evolt.org site...  permission level for the site, eg:  admin,
>contributor, head chef??, etc.  :) -- Primary Key is UEUE ID

I guess I'm not seeing how this can be done without the possibility of
conflicting userids.

Well, i guess all new userids would now be generated by ueue, so that's
not an issue, right?

>3.  each Child Server will be running a version of the evolt CMS

Well, no, but I don't think that matters.

>Possibility:
>Brand New User to food.evolt.org, Existing User on w.e.o ---
>The user has successfully authenticated to ueue.evolt.org and their cookie
>jar is full of the important fields:  UEUE ID, User Name, etc.   When the
>browser is redirected to food.evolt.org, their UEUE ID looked up in the
>local food.evolt.org user table.  It's not found--Here's the questionable
>part, if the UEUE ID is not found, the ColdFusion automagically adds the
>user to the local food.evolt.org User table and logs them in.
>
>As the user posts messages, their article counts and references are all
>correctly updated on the food.evolt.org site.

I guess I could go with that. But, I'd like to somehow have the
propogation outside of the evolt CMS code. Especially in the situation of
a changed password or email address or something like that.

>course begs the next question:  How can I know how many articles that I've
>written/commented upon/etc across all of the *.evolt.org sites.

I'm not sure I see the need for reporting that... unless we were going to
somehow have a cube-like system for overall community participation. IOW,
not that big of a deal if it's troublesome.

>Global User Information
>-------------------------
>If we don't do the one global table, like Matt has already suggested, then
>any application that wants a 30000 foot view of User specific information
>will have to query the ueue.evolt.org server for the list of all Child
>Servers the user is a member, query each Child Server for the user's content
>information, and pull all of that into one report or list.

Ok, here's my thinking. When you sign up for www.evolt.org, you should be
"signed up" for all *.evolt.org sites. So, I don't think the list of sites
of which that user is a member is needed.

>Without a 100% central repository of content information, one must
>replicate.  Dynamic queries over the network will be to expensive.

All the oracle databses reside on the same server.

>Besides,
>the admins of food.evolt.org may not have any interest in showing the other
>things their users have done.  They may just want to focus on food-related
>stuff.

+1

>I'm sure I'm not suggesting anything really new... It sounds like parts of
>this discussion have happened in the past.. :)  Please forgive me if I'm
>repeating an existing argument... :)  I'm slowly trying to make my way
>through the archives... :)

Yeah. Look for "login.evolt.org". I believe it's even in the subject
line. It was quite a while back. Dan was working on it (so he'd be the
author of the messages). Hope that helps some.

>"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
>
>-Batman costume warning label

Wasn't on mine, my friend. I learned the hard way...

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com