[thesite] My Intro and a look at a UEUE Proposal

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Oct 15 22:36:29 CDT 2001

| >As the user posts messages, their article counts and
| references are all
| >correctly updated on the food.evolt.org site.
|
| I guess I could go with that. But, I'd like to somehow have the
| propogation outside of the evolt CMS code. Especially in the
| situation of
| a changed password or email address or something like that.

Couldn't the CMS alert the DBMS, through a stored procedure? Or even the DB
alert itself through a trigger, that the user is not found and then make the
change? This pushes the logic into the bedrock backend, and seems to be to
be a little more solid. Matt, is that what you are concerned about?

| >course begs the next question:  How can I know how many
| articles that I've
| >written/commented upon/etc across all of the *.evolt.org sites.
|
| I'm not sure I see the need for reporting that... unless we
| were going to
| somehow have a cube-like system for overall community
| participation. IOW,
| not that big of a deal if it's troublesome.

This makes sense, not to be troubled by it. Think of your own participation
in the multitude of communities in which you participate: roles and status
rarely migrate or transfer across boundaries. For instance, Clark Kent
didn't receive much deference in his work for saving the world by night.

| >Global User Information
| >-------------------------
| >If we don't do the one global table, like Matt has already
| suggested, then
| >any application that wants a 30000 foot view of User
| specific information
| >will have to query the ueue.evolt.org server for the list of
| all Child
| >Servers the user is a member, query each Child Server for
| the user's content
| >information, and pull all of that into one report or list.
|
| Ok, here's my thinking. When you sign up for www.evolt.org,
| you should be
| "signed up" for all *.evolt.org sites. So, I don't think the
| list of sites
| of which that user is a member is needed.

I now see what Matt is concerned about -- I believe. Another real world
example: I am a citizen of the US. Therefore, without hindrance or
restriction, I travel to all parts of the country. (I'd love this to be the
world... someday!) That is, with the status of citizen, I don't need to have
special clearance to move about from area to area. Security would manage
whether or not I can or cannot access sensitive areas. Of course, this
metaphor would begin to break down if we became a more diverse community...
such as implementing this strange food.evolt.org everyone keeps mentioning.
;)

| >I'm sure I'm not suggesting anything really new... It sounds
| like parts of
| >this discussion have happened in the past.. :)  Please
| forgive me if I'm
| >repeating an existing argument... :)  I'm slowly trying to
| make my way
| >through the archives... :)

+1

| Yeah. Look for "login.evolt.org". I believe it's even in the subject
| line. It was quite a while back. Dan was working on it (so he'd be the
| author of the messages). Hope that helps some.

Thanks. With the concept of "shared reality" being something that is
continually created and renewed through dialog and conversation, having an
"elder" population with large mental databases is a valuable asset! Well,
technology can help, too.

<rory disposition="climbing the learning curve" alt="8o"/>