[thesite] My Intro and a look at a UEUE Proposal

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Tue Oct 16 00:19:41 CDT 2001

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com wrote:

> | >As the user posts messages, their article counts and
> | references are all
> | >correctly updated on the food.evolt.org site.
> |
> | I guess I could go with that. But, I'd like to somehow have the
> | propogation outside of the evolt CMS code. Especially in the
> | situation of
> | a changed password or email address or something like that.
>
> Couldn't the CMS alert the DBMS, through a stored procedure? Or even the DB
> alert itself through a trigger, that the user is not found and then make the
> change? This pushes the logic into the bedrock backend, and seems to be to
> be a little more solid. Matt, is that what you are concerned about?

well thats assuming the base evolt CMS is going to be sitting on each
*.evolt.org site. in fact, its probably going to be a different story.

a good example would be dir.evolt.org. it would be cool to let evolt
members(those that have a record in the main evolt DB) rate and comment
upon entries within that site(written in PHP and using MySQL for its
actual *content* DB) while 'leveraging'(ugh.) members of the evolt
community that already have a login/username/etc on the main evolt site.

dir.evolt.org shouldn't need to query the main evolt DB to get a users
information(nor do we want it to). it should be able to take info out of
the cookie that was set by ueue.evolt.org and get a username/userid/priv
level to store within its solitary MySQL DB.

hopefully that makes sense :)

.djc.