Member Pages .... Re: [thesite] user selecteble stylesheets..

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Oct 16 21:24:04 CDT 2001

> Hmmmm.. good question .. I went to look  ;)
> http://members.evolt.org/rudy/evolta.gif
>
> Looks like to me the MemberId will be stored in the User table.  So each
> user will only have one MemberId.  (The arrows don't show the link tho.)

Yes, but I don't understand the duplication of data such as firstname,
lastname, and priv. If there is one member per user, why wouldn't the tables
be joined?

It may be intended as a one-to-many r'ship (many user accounts for a single
membership record) as I mention at the end of the email.

> Also, from the User Table the User Priv is set.  Anyone with a
> MemberId will
> have a UserPriv of 2 ... instead of "1" which is what all users (except
> Admin and God) have now.

In the user table, the scale is 0 guest, 1 user, 2, admin, 3 god, right?
In the member table, why is there another scale? The priv field in the
membattr table handles the privacy gear.

Is it necessary to be able to choose between making an element (like a phone
number) accessible to users with member pages, or without? Aren't they
registered members of evolt.org either way when they sign up for the site?

> displayed to anyone but Admin or higher privs.  So, that particular
> attribute I'd indicate the Priv level, i.e. permission level, to view that
> info.

Yeh, that's never been unclear. I just don't understand the need for split
user/member tables. If I join the site (as a user) to participate with
ratings, comments, articles, etc, aren't I a member?

> As far as multiple userid's goes, yes, someone with more than one UserID
> could also create more than one Member Page (ID).

Oh no, that's not the issue. I just remembered Rudy talking about multiple
userID's having a single memberid or something. The requirement might've
been based on people needing home and work logins, but a single membership
page, or something like that. Rudy?