Member Pages .... Re: [thesite] user selecteble stylesheets..

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue Oct 16 21:54:35 CDT 2001

> yes, that's how it's set up in the db. many user accounts can be
> related to a single member record. rudy will have to pipe up with
> the reasoning for that.

a person is a person is a person

the member record corresponds to a person

a person can have more than one email id (e.g. home and work)

hence to be subscribed more than once means more than one userid

you'd want them both tied to the same person, i.e. member record

quod erat demonstrandum

;o)

>>In the user table, the scale is 0 guest, 1 user, 2, admin, 3 god, right?
>>In the member table, why is there another scale? The priv field in the
>>membattr table handles the privacy gear.

haven't had the benefit of seeing what was done during codefest yet, but
the scale should be universal, and have no variation anywhere

slight correction:  the scale is   0 guest, 1 user, 2 member, 3 admin, 4
god

>or maybe it's a method to privatize an entire member page like
>sourceforges "the user has made their skills profile private".

if the "skills profile" you are talking about (my apologies, i have jumped
in here without reading the seventy-nine posts since sunday on cookies and
tickets) is the member/membattr/attribute structure, then i'm sorry,
there's no collection -- each attribute is treated independently of all the
others, so that in order to privatize the skills profile, you have to
privatize each skill, and if you wanted a message like the sourceforge one,
the display routine would need a wee bit more sophistication...

> im not sure why, but i can have a username and password that would
> give me a usual user account and also another user name and password
> that would give me admin privs. these could both be tied to the same
> user record. or maybe user at home, user at work. i dunno...

try that again, only substitute "tied to the same *member* record"

there is, after all, only one mattwarden

;o)

rudy