[thesite] if anyones bored..

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Oct 18 23:21:30 CDT 2001

ran some benchmarks today with ab(posted some of the results on thelist
today) to see how we would handle a slashdotting.

i was actually pretty impressed with CF handling the load to say the
least :) we're running CF5 now on every *.evolt.org site that uses CF
thanks to an anonymous donation. heres some sample results of a couple
variables i used to simulate a slashdotting:

Server Software:        Apache/1.3.20
Server Hostname:        evolt.org
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /article/apache/17/16466/index.html
Document Length:        18078 bytes

Concurrency Level:      50
Time taken for tests:   506.435 seconds
Complete requests:      2000
Failed requests:        0
Broken pipe errors:     0
Total transferred:      36785776 bytes
HTML transferred:       36156000 bytes
Time per request:       12660.88 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       253.22 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          72.64 [Kbytes/sec] received

i've been tuning it all night to get up to 4 reqs/sec for an article
page. i used the latest article for this test, but the frontpage, god
forbid if it ever got linked to from /., wouldn't hold up even close to
this.. i ran the test from leo.evolt.org so bandwidth wouldn't be a
limiting issue, but you can see even with that kind of load we're
pushing 2/3'rds of the evolt t-1. coupled with out usual traffic load
from thelists, member accounts, and regular websites - we'd max out our
t-1 before we ever got to the point of crashing CF, which is a good
thing in a way..

anyways, i'm bored. you all have to deal with it now by listening to my
geeky benchmarking happy good times.. :)

so, we're about as tuned as evolt is gonna get IMO. my job is done here,
i'm heading back to mexico or something ;)

.djc.