[thesite] if anyones bored..

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.com
Sat Oct 20 11:47:24 CDT 2001

: any reasons other than to get a comparison?  if so, i don't see the point.
: the comparison won't be fair because the php version won't have all the
: architectural underpinnings to process that the coldfusion one currently
: has.

Underpinnings aside, a huge majority of the time spend on rendering the
homepage falls into two tasks:

1. Querying the information
2. Generating the screen display

With the current Evolt CMS I know that there are a few items that happen
with every page request (such as session state management, 404 management,
etc), and I'm sure you could isolate how long those items are taking to
complete and remove them from the comparison.

Part of me is convinced that a PHP version of the homepage might run a whole
lot faster than the CF version that's there now.  Mind you, I'm not
suggesting that evolt change platforms, but lately I have been having doubts
as to CF's processing power, but I do not know enough PHP to make that
version myself.

-joshua

in order to get a fair comparison you'd have to write a php version of
: the evolt.org cms we have now.  simply writing up a couple of test pages
: that hit the db in the same way isn't going to give you any comparative
: benchmarks to work from.
:
: just my 2¢,
: