[thesite] if anyones bored..

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Sat Oct 20 22:41:09 CDT 2001

Joshua Olson wrote:

> : ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> : > Part of me is convinced that a PHP version of the
> : > homepage might run a whole lot faster than the CF
> : > version that's there now.  Mind you, I'm not suggesting
> : > that evolt change platforms, but lately I have been
> : > having doubts as to CF's processing power, but I do
> : > not know enough PHP to make that version myself.
> : ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

i've been thinking the same things lately as well..

> : the total processing time is not the total equation for the power of an
> : application server.  you must also take into account the speed with which
> : you can develop and maintain the application.  while php may win the
> : rendering time race, i'm quite certain it would lose the development and
> : maintenance time races -- especially where less experienced developers (cf
> : or php) are concerned.
>
> Ok, so this begs a question for everybody:
>
> Raise your hand if you have mastered CF and feel comfortable making serious
> changes to the current system?  Does anyone other than jeff and a select few
> truly understand SSURL and the architecture?
>
> Not trying to attach you, jeff, but you stepped up to bat.  I know the
> limitations of the current architecture just as you do, and I've become very
> disenchanted with CF's string handling and rendering time of HTML.  I *hope*
> all this changes with CF 5.0, but so far I'm not impressed.

+1 - i read their piece about CF5 performance that someone mentioned on
thelist. while i have seen nominal improvments in the benchmarks i ran
on 4.5 vs 5.0 so far, its nothing earth shattering. most of the big
improvments touted in 5.0 only seem to come on 4-way CPU boxes.

which is great. if we had a 4 CPU box..

just some shit i've been thinking, so take it as you will - *but* it
sucks that we have to wait for a person to donate a new version of the
software our site runs on.. i was asking myself this weekend, "what if
someone *didnt* donate that, how long would we have had to wait for a
new version of CF to get all these benefits?" we obviously can't afford
it on our own ;)

i also think a lot more people here *and* on thelist would contribute
code(if you think about it, there are only about 3, maybe four of
us(jeff, me, josh, matt) that contribute right now). and we get a lot of
shit done between us 4, but i think a lot of people that have PHP skills
are sitting here on their hands waiting to contribute.. maybe i'm wrong,
but thats the feelign i got from 3 other people who are on this list and
were at codefest last weekend..

also, having to alter *every* m.e.o account that uses PHP(80% of them)
after installing CF5 so they'd point to the right mysql.sock file was
pretty discouraging. it had to be changed, becuase CF is only configured
to look for that file in one place(/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock) and you
couldn't configure it to look anywhere else. <insert rants of closed
source here>

i *do* like CF a lot. its easy for me, i can understand it. its easy for
jeff(understatement) too, and we're the top two people that work on the
weo code, so it makes sense i guess.. i have been wondering though how
many people would choose to contribute if our site was based in a
language that more than 2-4 people had a good understanding of.

anyways, thtas just my little opinion and thoughts :)

i would like to say though that my PHP skills are getting 313373 ;)

.djc.