[thesite] if anyones bored..

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Mon Oct 22 10:54:26 CDT 2001

isaac wrote:

> I can understand the theoretical benefit of "more developers" with another
> language. But I wonder if a bunch of PHPers leave, and some ASPers arrive,
> would we drop our PHP version of the site (alongside the CF version), and
> recode it from scratch in ASP?

i can see what you're saying, but part of it is the closed nature of CF
that kinda sucks too.

> Is the demand for new features on WEO so huge that we need to reconsider our
> application server (a pretty substantial decision)? I looked through the
> unimplemented features left over from codefest that required CF, and it
> didn't seem all that huge.

no, i don't thnk features had ever come in the conversatino yet..

> If we have a serious need for CF ability, have we specifically asked for
> that help on thelist (I haven't seen it happen), or on thesite?
>
> If we have a surplass of PHP volunteers, could we start by recoding
> something like AEO or the voting application, etc?

we have been doing this.. dir.evolt.org and the new authenticatin
schemes are bothing being done in PHP

> If the issue is the cost of CF upgrades, have we asked Macromedia for a
> donation or other support?

i made some discreet inquires about the possibility of us getting a
freebie. basically, times are tough, we need to make money on shit, and
the last thing we're going to give away is our cash cow(enterprise
edition) and:

"We welcome donation requests from qualified non-profit organizations
that service disadvantaged youth, the homeless, people with
disabilities, minorities, the elderly and victims of abuse; provide
disaster relief, meal service, medical and hospice care; provide
education and literacy programs; support human and animal rights;
support the arts; and protect the environment."

so we could be a 'education program', but thats stretching it. they do
have a discount program for 503's(NFPs), but we're still not officially
a 503c NFP(the process can take 9-12 months). sooo..