[thesite] if anyones bored..

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Mon Oct 22 12:15:17 CDT 2001

.jeff wrote:

> i should have been more specific.  the times i mentioned i was seeing on
> t.e.o.

oh, that makes sense then.. t.e.o uses our old production DB box, which
is a ton slower, obviously, than our live DB box

> yes, we're getting back all articles, but only showing 10.  i'm not
> convinced that having such a high blockfactor is a good thing, but i'm doing
> some tests on it right now.  i'm seeing slightly better results with a
> blockfactor of 10.  this may have something to do with the fact that we're
> only using 10 results at a time.  this quote from allaire seems to agree --
> "This should be tuned based on the expected average size of the result set."
>
> http://www.allaire.com/Handlers/index.cfm?ID=13810&Method=Full

i had tuned the blockfactor based on how fast it was pulling results
from the *live* DB, not the test one. we shouldn't tune our test site up
like that, cus it will slow our live site down.

and i remember seeing somewhere that the optimum MacroMedia Official
Recommendation(tm) for blockfactor was something like a blockfactor of
10 for every 3.2k of data returned or something

> what about the url scheme makes it more difficult.  perhaps we can work on
> those things and make it easier to understand and work on.  depending on
> what they are, you're likely to have those same complications in a php
> version as well.

sure, lets work on them.. all i've asked for since day 1 is a basic
piece of documentation from you explaining how it works for our site

> not active right now, but dave mccreath got pretty comfortable with it.
> why's isaac not in that list?  i'll bet any number of coldfusion users that
> are currently on this list could get comfortable with it given some time.

oh, i was talking comfortable as in actually changing cold fusion code.

> i meant "don't go trashing" as in don't go throwing out all we've done up
> til now by going to a different application server.

? i'm not suggesting we start throwing anything out..jeez.