[thesite] b.e.o. - IE Browsers

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Mon Oct 29 07:38:47 CST 2001

Hi Folks,

I wanted to bring this issue up and hopefully come up with a consensus.

The browsers we have for IE on beo don't work .. specifically, ver. 4 and 5
(and I'll guess 6 too).  My understanding of the problem is this .. the
files we have are "setup" only files, and in order to install the full
browser version, once running the setup program, it downloads the necessary
components that are required from MS directly.  Which means, since MS is no
longer supporting (or offer) the older browser versions, one can't install
old versions of IE.

There have been numerous conversations on thelist about this and also about
having multiple versions of IE on one machine.

Can others provide more insight?  Am I correct in saying these aren't
working and never will?

I've personally spent a lot of time trying to locate full versions in the
past, to no avail.  Anyone have any better luck?

With IE being so incorporated with the OS, I just don't think its going to
work.

My suggestion, delete the versions off b.e.o., perhaps putting up a note as
to why we don't have them anymore.  There is a current (active) email in the
admin folder awaiting response.  Here it is quoted (for those that don't
have access)...

<quote>
Hi There - this looks like a great site.  I've been trying to download MS IE
4.01 at http://browsers.evolt.org/index.cfm/dir/ie/32bit/4.01/ie4install.exe
but when I try to run it or expand it manually w/winzip I get a CRC error
from the download.  I have tried on several different PC's and get the same
error.  Can you please check to see if something is wrong with the file that
is there?
</quote>

Now, I d/led the specific version, no CRC error, per se.  But it wouldn't
install, saying it was looking for a file, tried to find it on the 'net,
failed.

Also, while I have everyone's undivided attention ;) ... what about Mac
versions?  Are there any reported problems?  Do we have the full versions
(working and installable) on b.e.o.?

Here's the link to b.e.o. http://browsers.evolt.org/index.cfm/dir/ie/

I'd like to get this resolved .. specifically wrt IE on PC.  I think we are
doing a dis-service to our members allowing them to d/l the files, when in
fact, they don't even work anymore :(.

Comments, ideas, suggestions .. greatly appreciated.

Michele