[thesite] What do you want to do ?

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Apr 30 22:21:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>
To: <thesite at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 4:10 AM
Subject: Re: [thesite] What do you want to do ?

> > From: "William Anderson" <neuro at well.com>
> >
> > given the age of beo's presence, i'd hate to see things moved around
> > arbitrarily - much better to stage manage any major moves to minimise
> > disruption, and once it's settled, define a reasonably rigid directory
> > framework to minimise future changes.
>
> that's a good idea... can give us the opportunity to put forwarding
> pages in place for bookmarks and links, right?

oh totally - it makes perfect sense to retain any leverage already gained
from search engines deeplinking into beo, and also bookmarks, manual links,
etc.  beo is more than a community resource, it's a time capsule,
permanently open to the public.

> > I can't see anything major shifting about in the short term, so if
> > there are concerns on that front, they should be quelled somewhat i
> > hope.
>
> i do like re-organizing all variants with each other, but i'm now
> thinking the UI should do that, not the directory structure...

I was actually thinking about something similar, so as not to constrain the
directory structure too heavily - if the UI can take the strain with
presenting download links and information to the browser, the actual
directory and file structure of the underlying file system can be pretty
much abstracted.  That might be a good thing actually :)

anyway, 4:20am local time - i'll continue these thoughts tomorrow morning
... damn, it is tomorrow morning :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'