[thesite] RE: [***forum] Re: VotingReqs

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sun Feb 3 23:30:00 CST 2002

On Feb 4, isaac had something to say about RE: [thesite] RE: [***forum] Re:...

>> if *that's* true -- that the priv of the question will be the same priv as
>> viewing the result -- then there's no need for this discussion... because
>> there's no need for the field at all.
>>
>> like i said above, if the question priv is the same as the result priv,
>> then there's no need to. but that's not what you originally said. you said
>> you wanted to be able to control the viewing of results independant of
>> controlling who can vote. putting result privs on the question is what i
>> have a problem with.
>
>Fields:
>
>question.votepriv (can vote on this question)
>question.viewpriv (can view the results of this question)

why, on gods earth, would viewpriv be on the question if it has to do with
whether you can view the votes?

here's the test of tests: you have absolutely no context and no prior
knowledge of this development process. you look at the questions table and
you see the field "viewpriv". what immediately comes to mind? that
dictates who can view the question right? so, what, are we gonna make the
name:

question.resultsviewpriv ?

sounds like that should really be:

result.viewpriv

which, is really, in our case:

vote.viewpriv

i guess, what i'm saying is, if you're leaving the database stuff to me,
leave it up to me :). i think it's a useless feature that dirties the
database design. unless...

can you think of an example of when we'd need to use this feature?

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com