[thesite] Re: spam, etc.

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Fri Feb 8 10:59:00 CST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, root wrote:

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
> To: <thesite at lists.evolt.org>
> Subject: RE: [thesite] evolt's search is blowing up (fwd)
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:30:02 -0800

> dean,
>
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: Dean Mah
> >
> > Just a guess... but the ColdFusion code for searching
> > has something like:
> >
> >    WHERE ...
> >       OR content.contentid = #Val(keyword)#
> >
> > It seems to me that it is trying to take each searched
> > keyword and compare it against the contentid.  When the
> > keyword has 'inf' in it, the Val function appears to
> > take this as infinite or something and messes up the
> > SQL.
> >
> > I don't know why the contentid is being compared to the
> > keyword when most likely the keyword is a string.
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> it was an attempt to allow searching by keyword, but not really necessary.

why would it search a numerical column for a keyword(text)x though?

.djc.

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:56:17 +0000
> Subject: Re: [thesite] Company Merger
> From: Martin <martin at members.evolt.org>
> To: thesite at lists.evolt.org

> On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 01:31  am, Warden, Matt wrote:
>
> > On Feb 7, Martin had something to say about Re: [thesite] Company Merger
> >
> >> So subscribe both, and set the scooter one to nomail. Or
> >> get a setup which allows you to set your outgoing email
> >> address. Not a showstopper.
> >
> > i think the spam isn't a showstopper, personally.
>
> That may be true, but others disagree, and think it's worth
> the 1 minute it'd take to sub and nomail that address, because
> rn, you're the person letting spam onto evolt's lists.
>
> Hell, I'll even do it for you.

this has come up a number of times before, on various lists, and my answer
has always been the same.. no :)

i personally post from whatever machine i'm logged into at the moment, so
subbing each of those accounts on each of those machines would be more
than a minute, and i'm the one letting spam in :)

you'd be amazed at how much *doesn't* get through that no one sees. an
average of 1 spam a week that takes 2 seconds to hit 'delete' is more of a
minor inconvienence

.djc.