[thesite] what do you call this feature?

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Jan 2 11:32:56 CST 2002

i'm using internet explorer 5 on a windows machine

on the evolt home page, there's a text input field in the sidebar that lets
me search articles

when i click twice -- not necessarily a doubleclick, just a second click --
the field expands to show my userid, and i can click on it to select it

it does not seem to remember other values i use in previous searches

the expanded field has this weird triangular widget in the bottom right
corner which allows me to click and drag to expand it -- except there's
only one entry in it, my userid

what's this called, and where does it come from?  i assume this is internet
explorer in all it's *cough* user-friendly *cough* glory?

i did not get the same behaviour on other web forms, so what triggers it?
the only difference i can see is that the field on the evolt page has an
access key...

rudy