[thesite] what do you call this feature?

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Wed Jan 2 11:56:46 CST 2002

On Jan 2, rudy had something to say about [thesite] what do you call this...

>i'm using internet explorer 5 on a windows machine
>on the evolt home page, there's a text input field in the sidebar that lets
>me search articles
>when i click twice -- not necessarily a doubleclick, just a second click --
>the field expands to show my userid, and i can click on it to select it
>it does not seem to remember other values i use in previous searches
>the expanded field has this weird triangular widget in the bottom right
>corner which allows me to click and drag to expand it -- except there's
>only one entry in it, my userid
>what's this called, and where does it come from?  i assume this is internet
>explorer in all it's *cough* user-friendly *cough* glory?
>i did not get the same behaviour on other web forms, so what triggers it?
>the only difference i can see is that the field on the evolt page has an
>access key...

It's AutoComplete and it's on by default.

It doesn't work on type="password" fields of if some attribute (like
noautocomplete="true" or something) is set. Also, in my experience, it
doesn't seem to work anywhere that is in https://

It's rather handy. Though, I think i've turned it off. I can't remember
why, though. I think it may have been when I was testing some of my forms
and putting a bunch of junk data in the fields, which IE would so kindly


More information about the thesite mailing list