[thesite] old links

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Tue Mar 19 18:59:00 CST 2002

On Mar 19, aardvark had something to say about RE: [thesite] old links

>> anywho, should we change it? what are the implications for search
>> engine indexing? any?
>>
>> those indexes are probably updated by now anyways
>
>SEs regularly traverse pages i've built with 302s...
>
>it's worth noting that ASP's response.redirect uses the 302, which
>given the number of splash skippers and moved pages i've built,
>still hasn't slowed down the indexing spiders...
>
>anyway, since they'd only come in on those URLs from pages with
>the old links, i'd love to see the source of the URLs updated, but
>that ain't happening...

you're missing the point.

if a link is a 404, the SE doesn't index it
if the link is a 301, the SE indexes it as the first URL (the old url) or
the redirect url?
if the link is a 302, the SE indexes it as the first URL (the old url) or
the redirect url?

the idea is to get rid of the old URLs, no?

my question was whether they'd be out of the index by now...

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com