[thesite] old links

Filip Salomonsson filip at netdesign.se
Tue Mar 19 19:42:01 CST 2002

Warden, Matt wrote:

> if a link is a 404, the SE doesn't index it
> if the link is a 301, the SE indexes it as the first URL (the old url) or
> the redirect url?
> if the link is a 302, the SE indexes it as the first URL (the old url) or
> the redirect url?

On seeing a 301, it _should_ only index the "new" url. 302s are a bit trickier,
I suppose, since the "old" url likely doesn't provide much of a page to index,
but may well do so at some other occasion.

I don't know how search engines actually handle 301s today, but we to loads of
302s at shorl.com, and we've noticed that Google actually indexes our urls
(those returning the 302s), but with the content of the "target" urls.
Examples: <http://google.com/search?q=site%3Ashorl.com+-xyzzy>

So I guess with 302s, the old urls just won't go away.

/filip
--
trained by sea lions.