[thesite] old links

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 22:02:00 CST 2002

> From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at mattwarden.com>
> >
> >anyway, since they'd only come in on those URLs from pages with
> >the old links, i'd love to see the source of the URLs updated, but
> >that ain't happening...
>
> you're missing the point.

no, we're just looking at it differently...

> if a link is a 404, the SE doesn't index it
> if the link is a 301, the SE indexes it as the first URL (the old url)
> or the redirect url? if the link is a 302, the SE indexes it as the
> first URL (the old url) or the redirect url?

dunno... but i'm not quite so concerned about SEs as you...

> the idea is to get rid of the old URLs, no?

no, the idea is to allow the old URLs to still work for as many people as
possible...

> my question was whether they'd be out of the index by now...

out of the SE index, i'm sure, at least based on my searches that always turn
up evolt.org articles...

but it's an issue of whether those sites linking to us will still have valid links or
not... i want *those* links to work...

if those links work, then there's really no issue, except for the occasional SE
index... of course, once the SE gets to the site, all other links within the site
are the new URL scheme...