[thesite] The Bitter Network Administrator

dougchick at thenetworkadministrator.com dougchick at thenetworkadministrator.com
Sat Mar 30 07:16:01 CST 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

The Network Administrator

         sp;     A Website Dedicated to Computer Professionals

 and those not so professional

Feature Articles:
How many certifications before you are a MCTT? (Microsoft Certified Test
Taker)

(image)Where is the line between having too many certifications and just
enough? Does your resume give the impression that you have more experience in
test taking than actual work experience? If this sounds like you then here's a
quick test to see how you rank. Relax Poindexter...there's no test here. I was
just kidding.  By Doug Chick
(image)[1]

Are you choosing software for your company by what will look best on your
resume?
 (image)
 First thing I do when looking for software for my company is research all
available software similar to our needs. Then I do a detailed comparative
analysis, followed by a call to a list of satisfied customers supplied by the
software company. After all, isn’t that what all Network Administrators do? Well,
maybe not all...
By Doug Chick
(image)[2]

Why wouldn’t Microsoft package it’s own computer like Apple?
(image)I Read an article by Phillip Smith that raised an interesting question;
Why wouldn’t Microsoft package it’s own computer like Apple or Sun, and stop
selling it’s software to computer makers altogether? Microsoft could agree
that they created a market that made them a monopoly and to add balance to the
industry they would stop selling their product to computer makers and only use
it in their own systems.
(image)[3]

Has Monitoring your Network Given you a God Complex?
(image)From your desk you can see who and when someone logs in, who and what
e-mail they send and what websites that they frequently attend. Knowing this
information can sometimes place you in difficult situations. You often ask
yourself if you should interfere to help someone that you like, or don't like.
See an e-mail that you know is damaging and wonder if you should stop or
remove it completely. It's a very difficult position to be in and almost no
one, short of other computer people know about it. So what do you do? I am now
of the philosophy that, "Unless someone is in danger of being hurt--Stay out
of it!"
By Doug Chick
(image)[4]

How many computer catalogs do companies think you need?
(image)On an average, I receive 5 computer accessories catalogs by mail,
everyday. That’s 25 a week, 100 a month and 1200 an year. Now stacking 10
magazines on top of each other will give you an inch, and 1200 magazines will
produce a stack 10 feet high. Let’s review: 5 magazines X 5 days  = 25 X 4
weeks = 100 X 12 months = 1200 magazines = a stack 10 feet high.
(image)[5]

Who wants to be a Network Administrator?
(image)Why are there so many people out there that are studying so hard to
take your job away from you? Money. I was sitting in the movie theater with my
wife last night and one of the ads on the screen before the movie started
read: Be a Network Administrator and earn 87K a year. Well, two thumbs up
again for those lying salary surveys. I don’t really think that those salary
surveys are lying as much as I believe that there’s one network administrator
out there that makes 47 millions dollars a year and is totally warping the
salary curve.
(image)[6]

Is your career dependant on the operating system that you support?
(image)
If suddenly one day, the president of your company announced that he just
struck a deal to change all the servers operating systems in your company to
“Serversoft” (trademark pending) what would you do exactly? Furthermore, what
if your company started hiring people that were Serversoft certified,
(trademark pending) that had no real life computer experience and were paid
more than you? How likely is that to happen? Ask a Novell Administrator.
(image)[7]

Submit an Article[8]

Note, If you did not subscript to the Newsletter and wish to be removed, Click
here![9]

*

Monkey Sling

The Network Admins Survival Guide

The Language of the End-User

Hacker Facts

Conspiracy Theory

Who Let the Bugs Out

*

| Copyright 2001  TheNetworkAdministrator.com & DougChick.com |