[thesite] request for google blocking meta tag in archive post

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Fri Feb 7 19:28:01 CST 2003

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>
<hmmm... following your list...
<http://www.google.com/search?q=algonquinstudios
<http://www.google.com/search?q=algonquin%20studios
<http://www.google.com/search?q=algonquinstudios.com
<i requested a site critique on thelist... nowhere does the result of
<that critique appear in my google results...
<somehow my rankings aren't impacted...

I'm wondering how that offers a solution to all the authors whose sites
*have* been impacted... I could have made that list of example searches 10
times as long as I did, I thought it was long enough to get the point
over...
I grant you, there are some sites where the site critique doesn't show on
the first page, like yours. I think that's great for them, it doesn't help
the issue though.

<if i were a jerk, i'd even
<argue that the evolt.org critiques should easily be overcome in page
<ranks by any well-built site that is SE-friendly...
The reason the critique request for your site didn't show-up in the test
searches, was not because it was such a well-built and SE-friendly site,
(which it is) but because you didn't put your URL in the title of your
"design feedback" request (as it has been advised to do on thelist several
times).
If you try:
http://google.com/search?q=algonquinstudios+design
You see it half-way down the page.
Also, it was also just 2 posts - if that had run into a 50 post flame-war,
with your URL in the title, it would be you posting this.

<if i were a jerk, i'd even
<argue that the evolt.org critiques should easily be overcome in page
<ranks by any well-built site that is SE-friendly...
Ok, so why does evolt list above your site here then:
http://google.com/search?q=%22Liquid+Design+for+the+Web%22
I'm sure you don't mind evolt listing higher there, but it does show that
evolt will list very high in the rankings, when it's wanted, and when it's
not.

<if i were a jerk, i'd even
<argue that the evolt.org critiques should easily be overcome in page
<ranks by any well-built site that is SE-friendly...
Especially the word "easily" seems to imply that you find the list of 13
sites I posted, have the evolt.org critiques listed so close to their own
sites, because they have not taken a few easy steps, and it's basically
their own fault.
That's not correct.
The second site had PR4/10 and looked quite SE friendly.
The third site has PR6/10 (like yours)
The fifth one has 5/10
in fact, most had a PR of 4 or up.

<[...]
<granted... all the better for users to see the site is different, and
<perhaps know the author cared enough to ask...?

I am pretty sure that if these webmasters knew that the site-checks would
stay with their site for years, on the first page of google, they wouldn't
have requested them in the first place.
thelist should be a help to webauthors, not a poisoned gift!

Please consider setting-up a way of adding the nocache tags, or deleting
archived posts, or adding spaces between the letters of URLs in the title,
or at least officially warn thelist users of this issue...

Thanks,
R i chard