[thesite] request for google blocking meta tag in archive post

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Feb 11 14:49:01 CST 2003

I agree the article is a good idea.

In general it's a good idea to think carefully about possible
consequences before signing on to a publicly archived list, but I'm
not sure how many of us do this.  For example, Yahoo archives are
usually "members only" archives so don't have this googling problem
(I'm not sure whether yahoo public archives get crawled).

I can think of one case where I was curious how a certain person I
know  represented himself on the Internet.  I discovered his posts on
a publicly archived list and it told me a great deal.  It told me
what kind of persona he was presenting, and also it told me I would
not want to join such a list using my real name or information.

I prefer not to hide my identity if possible.  But one has to
consider all the possible effects of being un-anonymous on the
Internet.  It's hard to call back something once it has been
released...

Erika