[thelist] IIS help needed!

Henry E. Lee, Jr. hlee at lexmedia.com
Mon Jan 15 11:52:31 CST 2001

Hello,

I am having trouble with NT4 IIS and need some help. I am really in trouble
with this one.

I have a webserver that was running without incident for several months,
aside from the occasional NT reboot or bug. Suddenly, the website goes down
at random, about once per day.

When you go to the URL, you get an "unable to display page" error message. I
have tried to go to the domain name, the IP address, ASP pages and HTML
pages inside the site, to see if I could deduce if it was an IP problem, DSN
problem, ASP module problem, etc.

In order to fix this, you have to go into the MMC and stop and start the web
service for that website. The other few sites on the machine are all fine.

Performance monitor shows no problems with memory, processor, ASP, website,
requests, etc. Log files keep functioning normally while the site is down
(as people are making requests for pages but not seeing anything), and there
is abolsutely NOTHING in the event logs that would hint at any problems.

I look forward to ANY insight you can offer, and really appreciate it in
advance. I am not a network admin, just a web developer who has some NT/IIS
experience, but this one has thrown me for a loop, and I don't know any NT
admins.

Thanks!

Hank

Henry E. Lee, Jr.