[thelist] Site Conundrum

J. Blanchard jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Tue Jun 12 14:11:50 CDT 2001

<snip>
Do you see enough guidance about which audience should go where--or do you think I should just separate the audiences with two different sites, maybe sitediva.net for the outsourcers, and sitediva.com for the clients??? Any input?
</snip>

I think that the .net and .com name are too close for comfort if you are trying to keep certain info from certain groups. There is a propensity to type .com at the end of any web address now, which may lead to confusion. My solution for this (when I was freelancing) was to have a secured area (using basic authentication or database driven identification) and give that entire address to the client where the details mattered. The rest of the site was designed so that any potential client could see it. If you are going to have separate sites let them have separate identities as well...one sitediva.com and one othercompletelydifferentname.com

<tip type="sql" author="jay blanchard">
Over the lifetime of many website(s) you will have the opportunity to gather many sql scripts that will enhance your ability to perform more efficiently. Take the time to keep these commented, categorized, and documented so that the 'library' becomes a wealth of knowledge either for reusing or rewriting sql statements. Also, this effort will make these nuggets more easily available to share.
</tip>

Thanks!

Jay Blanchard
Web Engineer