[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet, Part 2

Chad Savage jg3_savage at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 19:23:54 CST 2001

--- Olly Hodgson <gnarly at punkass.com> wrote:

> > If I'm using an include, wouldn't that be
> basically
> > the same thing it's already doing, just via a
> > different method?

*snip*

> Simply change the HTML surrounding
> it in the include file
> and its done. Otherwise you end up changing it in
> every single HTML file
> that uses it.
>
> You might not plan to do these things now but should
> you decide to rearrange
> things at a later date, SSIs (or another server side
> technology) simplifies
> things a lot.

Fair enough :)

> > I think my main concern is that once somebody's
> > browser had downloaded the nav, it doesn't have to
> be
> > DL'd over and over again...
>
> It should get cached shouldnt it?
>
> Olly.

I mis-stated that. What I mean is, I want to have the
nav stay in place once the site is open. Having it on
each page, regardless of how I decide to put it there,
means it will 'start over' every time a user clicks
through to another page.

The only way I know of to avoid this is through a
frameset. Which creates a couple of new questions:

[A] If I'm gearing this toward more current-version
browsers (it's a personal site - I'm not designing for
browsers older than version 4), is the argument
against frames, such as it is, still valid?

[B] Is there an alternative to frames that has the
same benefits (specifically, being able to change some
content in a page without changing/reloading other
elements) and is cross-compatible?

Thanks for the comments and recommendations - keep'em
comin'!

Chad

=====
§    chad savage