[thelist] home page max size

Tyme nopun at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 13 13:59:38 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: aardvark <roselli at earthlink.net>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] home page max size

> > From: "Tyme" <nopun at bellsouth.net>
> >
> > > Perhaps very famous sites can do without www, a small company would
> > > (imo) be better off using www.company.com on its printed material.
> >
> > TYME} Actually, very new computer users get confused between website
> > addresses and email addresses.  Suppose one could argue that the "www"
> > help the understanding process for beginners.  Did for my folks.
>
> but neither of this explains why a company *wouldn't* allow a user
> to type in the domain without the 'www'...
>
> handle for both seems to make sense, right?

TYME} True.  The above commented was an offshoot of your original
discussion.  As to your argument about redirecting to www, I can make only a
very weak argument (for the sake of offering one) -- and would certainly not
apply to the big companies who host their own.  Weak Argument: Let's say
that I did suck it up and pay my host the $24.99 setup fee and $2.00 a month
for a non-www version of my domain, but then came to my senses later and
cancelled the non-www version, those who bookmarked or committed to the
non-www address would be inconvenienced.  ...I told you that it was a weak
argument.

TYME} Why not email the webmasters for a few of those big companies that you
noticed do this and ask them.  I'd be curious to know.