[thelist] Site Check : www.cache-22.co.uk

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Thu Jan 24 13:21:14 CST 2002

>> [N4 is poo]

> Come on, this is a long-lasting troll, this one ;-)

Ha! I've not even started yet! My trolling powers are good!

Macs smell, of bottoms!!

> yet sometimes, for instance in security-holes-in-IE times, I
> resort to NN4...

Heh. I've never got that desperate yet. :-) I tend to use a random mix
of Opera, Mozilla and IE-with-scripting-off, probably equallish measures.
N4 is strictly testing-only in my house!

> (and no, for the moment, my dev machine doesn't use NN6 considering the
> small amount of people who acutally use it and my situation as an intranet
> dev).

I certainly wouldn't run N6. It's just Mozilla only worse, and doesn't have
enough share to make it worth considering. But Mozilla itself I'd
definitely keep around, as a good indicator of where Netscape will be
heading in the near future, a useful test for standardsness and lately
- finally - even a decent enough browser in its own right.

> For instance, if the dHTML thing had been implemented using layers instead
> of divs (and I don't see it as too far fetched, considering that would not
> be the first time NN creates a standard, see frames for instance)

Indeed. We complain at MS now for their apparent lack of wholeheartedness
on standards, but Netscape at their height were probably worse. Their "kewl"
HTML extensions always seemed to be slapped together without any thought -
other than backwards-contemptibility, to screw everyone else's browsers.

> we'd be fighting with IE instead when in dHTML trouble...

Still, even N4's implementations of JSSS and layers seem not-quite-right,
and always crashed a lot for me. I think it's fair to judge N4 a poor
release even on its own terms, ignoring the CSS issues.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://and.doxdesk.com/