[thelist] Hosting and DNS Registrations

Vic Wooten vicwooten at eaglewebservices.com
Sat Feb 23 09:23:00 CST 2002

Sharon,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon F. Malone" <sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Hosting and DNS Registrations

> Had a question come up tonight about who is displayed (considered) as the
owner of a domain and who is not when you do a search on whois.net

> In Network Solutions, when you do a search, NS is the registrar, the owner
of the domain name appears as the "Organization" which would be the
equivalent to the name and address info that first appears when the
registrar is BulkRegister. My company's name and address, let's say, XYZ
Consulting, should not be the name first appearing; it should be the
client's name and address.

> Bear with me, please!!!! The person I was talking to said, no, if it's a
BulkRegister scenario, it's perfectly alright to show my XYZ Consulting name
and address, rather than the client's. I said, no, XYZ Consulting is simply
representing the registrar and the owner/organization should reflect the
client name and address information.

> Legally, who is right?

By all rights the owner/organization should be shown as the registrant. XYZ
may have purchased the domian on behalf of the registrant/owner, but XYZ
does not own the domain, and therefore any reference to XYZ should only be
as an Aministrative Contact...possibly as Technical Contact.

This is probably more a matter of ethics, than legality...although I'm not
fully qualified to say.

Think about this:

You build a site for a client. The client has bought and paid for your
services, the right to use your custom-designed graphics on their site, etc.

Whose Copyright information do you display on the clients site? Certainly
not XYZs. At least I certainly wouldn't. I will include my company info in
the meta tags.

Vic