[thelist] CNN Pay to use?

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Tue Mar 19 14:48:01 CST 2002

>If cable TV worked this way, we'd have only a handful
>of channels, 'cause after paying for cable access,
>most of America wouldn't be able to pay for more than
>a few channels. Likewise, you're gonna find that you
>might afford Real's new media package thing, but not much else.

Ummmmm. Bill, CableTV *does* work that way. You get a batch of basic
channels, but if you want Showitme, oh, that's something you have to pay
extra for. You want HBO, too? Fork it over. Starz? Keep the green coming.

On the web you get a bunch of sites for free, then some more that you have
to pay extra for. Come to think of it, the Web is more efficient, because
you pay the site operator directly, rather than having the money first pass
through the hands of an ISP that will rake off a piece of the action before
forwarding it on.

At least, until MS.NET gets traction.

Have fun,
Arlen