[thelist] Fusebox framework and PHP

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Thu Jul 25 15:51:01 CDT 2002

I first learned of Fusebox on this list a while back, when people were
discussing coding standards for PHP.

"Wow! Great!" I thought to myself, "now I don't have to come up with my
own rational schema for organizing a PHP web app that I happen to
code...".

So off I went, and started digging into the Fusebox framework. Well...I
think the end goal is a good idea, to have a common framework, instead
of people having to read a bunch of docs (or code!) to figure out how
you wrote yours.

BUT, the learning curve is very steep, I find. You definitely have to
buy in to the Fusebox concept, and I found it hard to get used to.

Perhaps it makes more sense with ColdFusion? Maybe I didn't stick with
it long enough? I will definitely adopt some of the concepts, like the
naming concepts where the dsp prefix = display code, act = program logic
(aka action), and qry = database queries.

As a drawback, one big weakness is that the URLs aren't very search
engine friendly, so it's something to watch out for if that's important
for your web app.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com