[thelist] who has Javascript turned off?

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Fri Nov 8 12:46:01 CST 2002

Madhu Menon wrote:

> There's no such thing as "reliable" Web statistics. At best you get data
> from counter sites, which may already introduce a selection bias.
>
> It really doesn't matter what the average of the web user base is. All that
> matter is whether the audience *your* site is targetting are likely to have
> JS turned off. If they happen to be stock brokers, for instance, probably

Exactly.

For perspective, with a website oriented toward the business community,
particularly toward those seeking content management systems, we have
seen JavaScript enabled for 99.76% of our audience in the last month.
Our audience appears to be approximately 3 non-technical users for every
technichal user, though the confidence in such is low, as this is based
solely on browsing patterns, and requires a subjective judgement to be made.

--Steve