[thelist] CSS & DIV rendering trouble

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Mon Mar 3 18:29:02 CST 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 06:27:06PM -0500, burgan at iprimus.com.au wrote:
> I have a 'div' tag that I want to have a height of 1 pixel - in order to
> create a line across my page.

Lines are good. :) But I'm not sure what the context of the whole design
is going to be. As someone else has mentioned you could use an hr to
create a line. The question is though: why do you want the line?
	separate sections: use an "hr" element
	add decoration to a shape/block of content: use a CSS border

In your web page you have a red picture that creates an equally long line
as the div background above. What is it that you'd like to accomplish?
Should it be a black line and then a red line right underneathe?

Instead of wrapping the table in a div, I'd recommend just adding a
border-top to the table. Like this:

.menubar_line {
	border-top: 1px solid #000;
	width: 700px;

then in your page:

content goes in here.

> The div tag appears to have a height of around 20 pixels or so .. how do I
> get it just to 1px like I want it.

Can you draw a picture in photoshop (or similar) that shows what you would
like the page to look like? Then we can build the HTML and CSS to match
your desired effect.

Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]