[thelist] how to connect to MSDE SQL Server?

Paul Bennett paul at clicksave.co.nz
Wed Apr 14 21:59:19 CDT 2004

Ken Schaefer wrote:

>b) SQL Server has two authentication modes. Integrated Windows, and Mixed
>Mode (Integrated Windows + SQL Server). Microsoft is pushing Integrated
>Windows Authentication, rather than Mixed Mode (which will soon become a
>legacy feature).

As an aside, I had this problem connecting to SQL Server from a *nix box
about a year ago. The business owner had to switch to mixed-mode
security from windows authentication otherwise we could not get access
to the data. (We used FreeTDS to communicate between machines) Would
making mixed-mode security a legacy feature mean that MS is forcing
people to use Windows-only machines to connect o sql server boxes? Or
could it still be done with other OS's?