[thelist]Security hole found in Mozilla browser

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sun Jul 11 06:45:46 CDT 2004

From: "Anthony Baratta" <Anthony at Baratta.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist]Security hole found in Mozilla browser

: Ken Schaefer wrote:
: > Anyone work in a large environment that has some tips on
: > where I can look for deployment solutions (something
: > that we can use to push these, and other, updates to
: > users automatically)?
:
: Ken...
:
: Are you using SMS (the MS Deployment Software thingy)?
: I thought that had an option for launching startup exes or batch
: files via the Run Once Registry key on boot up.
:
: The other way might be to offer a web page with links to all the
: executables via their local paths and send out notices that a new
: version of the software is available.

SMS is an option - but it works better if the vendor provides the necessary
SMS packages. Otherwise it has the potential to become a painful exercise.

We do not allow users to install their own software. For simple changes
(changing a registry key, or updating some text files), we can use a startup
script in a GPO to make the necessary changes to a user's machine without
their needing the appropriate privileges. But as soon as we get an update
that requires user interaction (and no way of having some kind of automated,
unattended installation) we run into problems.

I suspect that there's probably info on this out there (and I was hoping
that someone might have a link handy) - we just need to search harder!

Cheers
Ken