[thelist] Insert Nothing

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:11:58 CDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:10:10 -0500, Rob Smith <rob.smith at thermon.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I want to insert nothing into an SQL Server table.
> INSERT INTO myTable () VALUES ()
>
> My table structure is this:
> caid            int             4               not null
> auto_increment
> timevisited     datetime        8               not null        (getdate())
>
> How can I achieve this?

In short, you can't. If a column is defined as NOT NULL, then in order
to insert a record, you must insert a value into those columns. There
is no way around this except to declare the columns as allowing null.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd